About us

A local business, you can trust!

For nearly a century, our family run business has been delivering coal to the local community.

Since operating from Duns Railways Station, the business has expanded considerably. We now really do have something for everyone, whether it be from our Coal, Wood and Biomass Department, Independent Builders’ Merchant/DIY Store, Stove Shop/Installation Service, Kitchen Design/Supply, Garden Centre, Baytree Café, Self Drive Vans, Self Storage or even Chainsaw and Lawnmower Services. We’re your local, one-stop shop!

As a long-standing business in the area, we like to think we have built a strong relationship with the ‘locals’. Community is something close to our heart and therefore we are very proud to support and sponsor many of the surrounding clubs, activities and good causes.

Community Spirit

As a long-standing business in the area, we like to think we have built a strong relationship with the ‘locals’.

Community is something close to our heart and therefore we are very proud to support and sponsor many of the surrounding clubs and activities.

Company timeline - nearly a century old

1920

Robert Hogg Pearson (Bob) moved from Edinburgh to Duns and started a small Coal Merchant business, located in Duns Railway Station

1945

Bob’s son, Robert Scott Pearson, joined the business to learn the trade.

1957

Bob retired and Robert Scott Pearson, or Bert as he was known over the Borders, took over the family business, building its reputation as Diploma Approved Coal Merchants.

1960

The depot was relocated to Cheeklaw, Station Road, Duns, across the road from the Railway Station.

1966

Due to the closure of the Railway Station, the business shop was relocated to Castle Street, Duns. Bert introduced a haulage operation this year.

1980

The business shop moved to Murray Street, Duns.

1982

Monty Pearson (youngest son of Bert) returned to Duns to work in the business, after 15 years working in Edinburgh. He gradually expanded the haulage operation over the next few years.

1985

Bert retired and Monty took over the family business.

1991

After completing his service in the Royal Navy, Barry (Monty’s eldest brother) joined the firm and trained as Haulage Manager.

1993

A small stove shop was set-up at the Murray Street Shop. However, it soon became obvious the business had outgrown its office and new land was bought for larger premises adjacent to The Cheeklaw Depot on Station Road in Duns. The business is still located here today.

1994

The new shop was built and renamed The Cheeklaw Centre with the addition of a Builders’ Merchant department.

1996

The Garden Centre and Baytree Café departments were opened.

1998

The business became a Limited Company. Pearsons bought the Business of G.Y. Richardson, Spittal, Berwick upon Tweed.

1999

Two competing coal merchants retired from trade. Pearsons of Duns acquired these companies, which lead to the business opening a depot in Alnwick, Northumberland.

2002

The Alnwick depot was centralised back to Duns.

2003

Garry Pearson, youngest son of Monty, was keen to learn the business early and joined the team part-time at just 13 years old.

2004

Took over the Business of T. Fogo, Dunbar when he retired.

2008

The new Builders’ Merchant Centre was constructed and opened

2010

The haulage business was sold.

2011

Pearsons acquired the business of David Pagan, Spittal when he retired.

2014

Our Stove Installation Service and Bulk Blown Wood Pellet deliveries were introduced, expanding the business yet again.

2015

Garry became joint Director with his dad. This year T.E Swainson and R.D Cowins, two coal businesses in Penrith, were bought by Pearsons. This branch is now known as Swainson and Cowins Penrith.

2016

We started supplying Solid Fuel `Thel length and breadth of Great Britain`. The Build Centre began selling Kitchens.

2017

We launched POD Self Drive Van Hire

2018

POD Self Storage was born and quickly raised to 24 Units

2019

The Business of Border Chainsaw and Lawnmower Services was bought in January and continues to operate out of Earlston.